Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A New Path

I had planned to take a break from my adoption efforts. I tried for about a week to take a step back and not focus so much on adoption. Although I am not spending nearly as much time searching for a child as I once was, I quickly discovered that I cannot stop doing everything in my power to help us become parents. It's just not who I am.

So, instead of simply waiting and letting our online profile and our past networking efforts work for us, I have been busy thinking of taking a new path to parenthood. I feel it is time to try something different to see if it works for us. My husband and I have been discussing hiring an adoption attorney or out-of-state agency in addition to working with our current agency here in Michigan. We think this will help increase our chances of finding a child sooner.

Of course, that means additional costs. However, the upfront fees of adding another agency are fairly reasonable when compared to the amount of money we have already invested in the adoption process and our advertising efforts. In the event we are matched through this other agency, our adoption would cost more than twice as much as it would through our agency. Even though I am a very conservative spender, I would rather have very little money in the bank and be a happy parent, than to have a nice savings and remain childless.

1 comment:

petunia said...

I came across your blog looking for others adopting - i hope it happens soon for you - we are going to be doing our homestudy soon and i'll mark your blog to come back and read about your journey.