Monday, January 30, 2006

Life With a New Baby


I've always heard that becoming a parent changes you. I just never understood exactly what that meant until now.

Since bringing home baby K nearly 2 weeks ago, I've become a different person. My life has new meaning and purpose. Every day I make choices and plans that affect the life of this special little person. I am always thinking of what it best for her and my goal is to ensure she is happy, healthy, secure and loved.

Of course, as any new parent knows, this can be a challenge at times. It isn't always easy to know she wants. And it can be very draining trying to calm a crying baby at 2 a.m. But it the most wonderful thing I have ever experienced. I no longer feel like something is missing from my life. Each day brings a joy I had never before experienced.

I marvel in the little things she does -- the way she looks at me so intently when I sing or talk to her, the way her tiny hand firmly grips my finger, that little smile that creeps across her face every now and then. (I know many believe it is only "gas" at this point, but her smile still melts my heart.) I also find it interesting to watch her observe her environment. At only 2 weeks old, it just amazes me how alert and curious she is. She is always looking around checking things out. She will even turn her head to look at me when she hears my voice -- even when I am in a different area of the room.

I can't say that every moment with her has been easy or carefree. But I can say that we are adjusting quite well to being parents. We are enjoying each day and look forward to watching her learn and grow. We are so grateful to be blessed with this amazing, healthy and beautiful child. She is truly our daughter in every way that matters, and we couldn't love her or cherish her any more than we do.

In other words, life with a new baby is good!

--------------------------
Stay tuned for the story of the day K was born and our experience at the hospital with her birth family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dee and Paul!!!

Jeff M

Trista said...

I'm glad you finally posted - I've been anxious to see how things are going. I bet you're just getting past the honeymoon phase with a new baby and into the "oh my gosh will I ever get sleep again???" phase. The answer is yes - - - eventually ;)

petunia said...

I'm so happy for you - i've been watching every day for you to blog again....I thought you were probably a little busy...lol....
Enjoy every moment....i can't wait for my turn!
Please please write about the whole experience of getting her placed in your arms, the birthparents etc....when you have time...lol